Welcome to the parish of Whaley Bridge
The Parish of Whaley is that rare thing – we are part of the county of Derbyshire, but we are in the diocese of Chester. Until the 1930s, part of modern Whaley Bridge was actually within Cheshire. There are two churches in the parish: Holy Trinity on Buxton Road and St James’ at Taxal, a hamlet a mile or so out of the built-up area. Kettleshulme, which IS in Cheshire, is also part of our parish. Anglican services take place roughly once a month in the Methodist chapel there. The Rev Margaret Jones has been priest in charge of Whaley Bridge since 2012. She was licensed by the Bishop of Stockport on Saturday 1 December and began her new role the next day, the start of the church’s new year, Advent Sunday. She now lives within walking distance of Holy Trinity. A former teacher, she had been at Altrincham St George’s and St John’s for the eight years following her ordination. She has three grown up children and four grandchildren.
The parish has close relationships with two Church of England schools: Taxal and Fernilee primary school and Kettleshulme St James primary school. The Rev Margaret is on the board of governors at both. There is also a warm relationship with Whaley Bridge primary school.
St James’ is by a long way the oldest. There has been a church on the site since 1286. A memorial slab of slate in the chancel records the name of Roger Jaudrell, who fought at Agincourt. The church is a favourite venue for weddings. Holy Trinity, celebrated its centenary in 2005. Sunday services alternate between the two churches.
The parish has two licensed Readers, Beryl Axcell and Mick Connell. They are allowed to preach and take non-sacramental services, including funerals.
From April 2018 the offices are filled by John Swift and Gill Thompson.
Vera Roberts, Holy Trinity and Anne Winter, St James.